Sometimes we need something warm and comforting on a rainy day, right?
Lately I have been obsessed with pot pies and shepherd pies but this time did not really have the time to bake the crust so why not make a soup that tastes like pie?
Chicken pot pie bisque
Creamy and simply flavored bisque that tastes like chicken pot pie.
- 1 whole boneless chicken breast cut into ¾” (2cm) thick strips.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs cut into ¾” (2cm) thick strips.
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp oil vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion finely diced
- 2 celery ribs minced
- 3 large carrots pealed and sliced 1/4” (0.75cm) thick
- 2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 30 ml lime juice
- 3 tbsp parsley minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large pot bring chicken broth a boil.
- Add chicken to broth, cover and simmer under medium heat until cooked.
- Remove chicken from pan and cut into bitesize pieces.
- Transfer liquids to a container and return pan to stove. Do not wash it.
- Add vegetable oil to pot and saute onions, celery and carrots until tender.
- Remove vegetables from pot and transfer to chicken's plate. Do not wash pot and return it to stove.
- In same pot melt butter and add flour, stir for 1 minute under low heat.
- Slowly pour chicken broth whisking constantly, as it cooks the liquids should start to thicken. Add milk and if needed blend mixture (I use a hand held blender) to remove all lumps.
- Add salt, black pepper, lime juice and parsley. Stir.
- Return chicken and vegetables to pot and for last add frozen peas. Stir.
- Cook for 5 more minutes under low heat and it should be ready to serve.
- Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle black pepper and enjoy!