Who does not like empanadas? This is a very versatile dish which accommodates endless filling types!
Great for get together with friends.
Empanadas filled with chicken and caramelized onions.
- 590 g flour 3 cups
- 230 ml cold water 1 cup
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter chilled
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 large onions
- 1/3 cup parsley small bunch
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- In a medium sauce pan place chicken breats, bay leaf and chicken stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer chicken and stock to a bowl and let it cool down before shredding.
- In a food processor add flour, butter and salt, pulse for a few seconds and slowly pour water.
- Wrap dough and place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- In a large sauce pan add oil, chopped onions, paprika, cumin, chilli powder and salt to taste . Saute onion for about 5 minutes, it should be translucent.
- Add 4 tbsp of chicken broth to onions, remove from heat and add shredded chicken.
- Remove dough from fridge, divide into 16 parts. Using a rolling pin open each ball into disks.
- Place filling in the center, fold dough over. Press around to remove air.
- Cut excess dough and press with fork to seal empanada.
- Beat 1 egg and with a brush glaze each empanada.
- Bake at 375F(180C) until golden brown.